Saturday, December 10, 2011

Recipe Box: Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Broccoli Cheddar Soup is in my top 3 favorite soups. I love it, but I have never made it myself until this week. To be honest, I was intimidated by homemade soups. They seemed so complex and time consuming, but I can tell you now that IT CAN BE DONE! My husband said it was the best he'd ever had, and even my 3 year old likes it! I found this awesome recipe from Chef in Training and it is delicious. Here's her instructions:


BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (16 oz) package frozen chopped broccoli (you can add more if you like)
  • Salt and Pepper TT
  • 8 oz. Velveeta Cheese
  • 1 (8 oz) bag sharp cheddar cheese


Mix water and heavy cream together and set aside.
Melt butter and flour together to form a roux. Slowly add in heavy cream/water mixture stirring constantly. Add in chicken broth still stirring. Let simmer for 20-25 minutes to let the soup thicken up.
Add in broccoli and cook over low heat for an additional 20-25 minutes to continue to thicken soup as well as cook and soften the broccoli.
Sample and add salt and pepper to taste.
Cut 8 oz. Velveeta into cubes and drop into soup and stir until melted. Add in sharp cheddar and stir until blended.

Enjoy!


So if you suffer from homemade soup anxiety like I once did this recipe could be just the confidence boost you need to get you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...